The ILA Listening Times April 2021
1. Theresa Caldwell will be teaching a virtual class: ‘Listening: For Acting and Life’ for The Theatre Lab, Washington, D.C.’s non-profit school for the dramatic arts. Their mission is to transform lives through theatre education making the real-life benefits of theatre training accessible to all, regardless of age, income, or experience.
2. A warm ILA welcome to all our new members this month from Sweden, India, Germany, UK and USA including Linda, Claire, Taryn, Hui, Sarah, Hillevi, Kushni, Walter, Patricia and Raphael.
3. Created by ILA member Marva Shand McIntosh, I Love to Listen Day (Listening Day) is observed around the world each year on May 16. This is not a day of silence. It provides a date for all humanity to commit to building a culture where Listening is a core value.
4. Are you interested in ILA history? Members can login and access this link to the 25 year retrospective video made by Harvey Weiss and Nan Johnson-Curiskis https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbUPhZEHtqEFE80QSLJQUnEcOfKQ730u/view?usp=sharing
5. ILA member Carol L. Benton is retiring from the University of Central Missouri after 32 years. While she says “these have been the best years of my life" she is excited to move on to the next adventure! Carol plans to continue her lifelong interest in Listening and Relational Communication.
6. New online in our International Journal of Listening; remember to login: Using Task Practice To Reduce Social Influences On Listener Evaluations Of Second Language Accent And Comprehensibility and Podcasting On Purpose: Exploring Motivations For Podcast Use Among Young Adults
7. ILA Board Member, Juliana Tafur and her team have been offering Listening training for 150+ faculty and staff at the Ohio State University.
8. ILA Board Member Raquel Ark was interviewed by Dr Ramona Houston on the Empowerment Zone podcast discussing the fact that learning how to listen better can enhance our personal and professional lives.
9. ILA member Laura Janusik will be teaching ‘Effective Listening for Workplace Results’ at Avila University, USA April 29 through May 20, 2021. She says, “What you don’t hear when you think you are Listening, will change your work life and blow your mind.”
10. Check out this article from the New York Times: ‘Wisdom Isn’t What You Think It Is: It’s more About Listening Than Talking’ https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/opinion/wisdom-attention-listening.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage&fbclid=IwAR2rlm45MEI5oYX0YcsTmrJushAa-wH_1rGHb5IQpwFG4xwGtUsHGI0uzyA
11. ILA Board Member Lori Joubert drew our attention to this great article and podcast about ‘faking normal’ and the importance of Listening to what is NOT said: https://www.npr.org/transcripts/945092228?fbclid=IwAR1R_LHSY_wuu2OAHSyQ14U7YjKTDocFWZ5_Wz6tq0HH7HufGp5wuDhkSkY&t=1618819413722
12. ILA member Lisa Athearn’s student Shayna Schulman has created this great rap video about Listening. Every semester Lisa gives the option to her Listening students of creating a music video instead of taking the Final Exam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeDpvLQeVwQ
13. ILA member Kittie Watson has been speaking at the USA Training Officers Consortium's Annual Institute 3-day virtual event.
14. Did you know you can support good causes at no cost to yourself every time you shop on Amazon? If you go to AmazonSmile and nominate International Listening Association as your preferred charity, the ILA gets a donation every time. Thanks for contributing.
15. A new issue of the International Journal of Listening will be available from April 30. The focus of this edition is on issues around Listening in second language learning.
Check Out What ILA Members Are Doing
What is it Like When Someone Listens to You?