ILA Listening Times
Send us your listening news to share! firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Happy birthday to the ILA! The International Listening Association has met as a body every year since its founding in 1979. On 23-24 August, 1979, Dr. Ralph Nichols’ successor, Lyman K. “Manny” Steil hosted the State-of-the-Art of Listening Symposium at the University of Minnesota in St. Paul, USA. We now have ILA members in 25 countries throughout the world. Happy birthday to us all!
2. On September 9, 2021 we have another fascinating online event: "Applying Listening to Business Challenges" presented by Kathy O'Brien, Managing Director, Red Shoe Communications in Singapore, and Jennifer Grau, President of Grau Interpersonal Communication, USA. Visit our ILA website for more details https://listen.org/Meet-up
3. A warm ILA welcome to all our new members this month especially Pelin and Tes from Turkey and the USA.
4. One of our ILA values is to advance listening through practicing listening with each other so ILA Board Member, Raquel Ark is initiating an ILA Listening Circle prototype project. A listening circle is a tool that encourages all voices to be heard and has been shown to support empathy, wellbeing and productivity. The first step will be to train ILA members as Listening Circle Facilitators who will then commit 3-6 months to co-facilitating listening circles for our ILA membership. This initial training will take place on Sept. 21, 7:30-9:00am MT, 5:30-17:00 CET, 21:00-22:30 India. If you would like to join this exciting venture, please contact Raquel Ark: email@example.com
5. ILA member Andrew Jones has started a new position as Assistant Professor of Communication at Davis and Elkins College in West Virginia, USA.
6. ILA member Jim Macnamara, keynote speaker at our ILA convention in Dublin in 2018, will be speaking on the importance of Organisational Listening at the Enhancing Public Sector Stakeholder Community Engagement Conference on the 21-22nd September https://lnkd.in/gTJs6RWk
7. ILA Award winner Eva Goksel and her colleague Stefanie Giebert are organizing their online Drama in Education Days 2021 September 9th-12th 2021. This bilingual conference (English and German) focuses on best practice and research in Drama and Theatre in Education in second and foreign language teaching and listening. Previous Drama in Education Days with contributions in English and German are now available for downloading: https://www.pedocs.de/frontdoor.php?source_opus=22232
8. ILA member Mohammed Alnughaimish’s first book on Listening: ‘Listen to be Loved’ was distributed by a Kuwaiti parliamentarian to all the other MPs and ministers when it was published and when his most recent book ‘Do Not Interrupt Me’ was published, the CEO of Future Communications Company dedicated a copy to each Member of Parliament. Our Arabic-speaking members can find the books at https://www.dhuhaa.com/product-category/books/author/dr-muhammedalnughaimsh/
9. Check out this research article from the latest edition of our International Journal of Listening by ILA member Laura Landry-Meyer: Culturally Cognizant Listening
10. Our ILA International Day of Listening is coming soon! What are you planning for this September 16th? Everyone can participate. Is there someone you have been trying to ‘change’ for years? How about trying to ‘Listen to Connect’ on September 16th? https://listen.org/IDL and www.internationaldayoflistening.com
Check Out What ILA Members Are Doing
What is it Like When Someone Listens to You?