Check Out What Our Members Are Doing
What is it Like When Someone Listens to You?
The Listening Times June 2020
1. ILA Board Member, Krishna Naineni has been delivering virtual communication skills courses to medical students in India encouraging the students to develop a Listening attitude. He has also delivered a workshop on clinical communication skills where 950 students participated virtually as part of the WebMedQuest 2020 conference.
2. ILA Partner, Grau Interpersonal Communication's listening training is the focus of a research paper just published in the European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology entitled ‘Can Listening Training Empower Service Employees? The Mediating Roles of Anxiety and Perspective Taking’ by Guy Itzchakov of the University of Haifa in Israel. This is another great example of an ILA-generated Listening research partnership, thanks to ILA member Raquel Ark.If this kind of collaborating intrigues you, your organization could become an ILA Partner, contact Jennifer Grau, ILA's Director of Partnerships.
3. ILA Member Victor Pierau-Schoeber, in collaboration with the Erasmus University, is working on training a group of organizational leaders from major international corporations in Listening. It is a 10-week online program ‘Leadership in Listening’ based on Victor’s book and listening model. Another ILA member, Raquel Ark, is also on the team co-creating a very experiential program – another example of international collaboration between ILA members towards the advancement of Listening in the world.
4. Jessica Buckingham-Wagner, a former ILA Award Winner, was named 2020 Teacher of the Year in Owatonna, Minnesota. She was a former student of ILA Executive Director, Nanette Johnson-Curiskis, at Minnesota State University. Congratulations Jessica and Nan!
5. The ILA Healthcare Group is connecting ILA members with an interest in our health and well-being. Corine Jansen, Tamsin Hartley, Elaine O’Mullane, Annie Rappeport, Steffi Berkowitz, Laura Hargraves and others are working on these important issues. If you would like to join the Group just let us know.
6. Check out this short video about the effect of Listening to music on unresponsive patients in a healthcare facility. Neurologist Oliver Sacks speaks very movingly about the results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ
7. Congratulations to ILA Life Member Kittie Watson and her ILA Partner organization, Innolect, for obtaining International Coach Federation approval to offer continuing education credits for their ‘Listening Leaders’ and ‘Effective Listening’ workshops.
8. ILA Partner Spotlight: the ILA is proud to highlight this months’ ILA Affiliate Partner organization. The School of Hospitality Business at Michigan State University has launched the careers of thousands of leaders in hospitality and service professions and transformed the landscape of hospitality education. Founded in 1927, they are known as the original hospitality business school and rank among the top hospitality programs in the USA and globally.
9. ILA President Lori Joubert hosted our first online ILA Open House Virtual Open House – designed to further develop our work in Business, Education, Healthcare, Research and Publications. Together we continue to extend listening in the world, sparked by the innovative thinking, teaching, and leadership of ILA Members.
10. The ILA Publications Group meets under the leadership of Margarete Imhof to develop the work of ILA publications: the International Journal of Listening, the Listening Education Journal, the Listening Post and the ILA Listening Times. If you have an interest in publications please contact Margarete.
11. Check out our next event in preparation for our ILA International Day of Listening on September 17, 2020. The session will be led by Jennie Grau on ‘Establish an Intent for Listening’ July 9, 9-10am (EDT). Details at https://listen.org/ILA-Mini-Course
12. We will be celebrating the achievements of our ILA Award winners in Business, Research and other Listening fields online on July 1st. All ILA members are invited. Register at https://listen.org/event-3880547