Check Out What Our Members Are Doing
What is it Like When Someone Listens to You?
The Listening Times July 2020
1. We have welcomed even more new ILA members this month. The ILA is now operating in 25 countries worldwide.
2. We had a wonderful 3rd module in our ‘Listening with Empathy’ online series. Jennie Grau inspired us by illustrating that sometimes, when we think we are listening with empathy, we are not! She also provided useful guidance about how we can be even better listeners. Graham Bodie leads the next module on July 30. This is already fully booked so let us know if you no longer need your place.
3. ILA member Eva Göksel and co-organiser Stefanie Giebert reorganized their annual conference ‘Drama in Education Days’ as an online event providing new and intense opportunities for listening. Speakers suggested ways to adapt conventional drama in education methodologies to work online, and discussed "Resilience and Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge in post COVID-19 Education”. Eva Göksel facilitated 2 workshops exploring drama in a virtual space. Details at: https://dramapaedagogik.de/en/conference-schedule-zeitplan/
4. New ILA member Daniel Rosen invites us to make our voices heard on his website https://onlistening.net/ He is compiling listening podcasts where people share their insights and experiences of listening to others, to their own bodies, to data, and to themselves.
5. Many thanks to Laura Janusik for updating the Learning Instruments Database for the ILA website – a wonderful resource for researchers and Listeners worldwide https://listen.org/Assessment/
6. A study by ILA members Andy Wolvin and Laura Janusik is cited this month in an article in Forbes entitled ‘Three Steps To Listening Your Way To Success’:
7. Great news about the ILA International Journal of Listening: the journal has moved up a quartile in the area of Applied Psychology and in the area of Communication and it has made the top quartile in Language and Linguistics. Great work by our IJL Editor, Margarete Imhof.
8. ILA Member, Annie Rappeport has completed her two-year term as President of Graduate Student Government at the University of Maryland. Her term was characterized by innovative ideas, strategic thinking and lots of hard work completed with dedication, grace, and seriousness. Congratulations, Annie!
9. ILA Partner Spotlight: the ILA is proud to highlight this months’ ILA Partner organization: ‘Listen Courageously’ is on a mission to impart the benefits of empathic courageous listening and encourage us to recognize our shared humanity. Their award-winning documentary film showcases people with opposing viewpoints on divisive issues – guns, abortion, and immigration — listening to each other. Learn more about the film and dialogue experience at https://listencourageously.com. If you know an organization that loves Listening contact Jennie Grau about involving them in the ILA Partners Program.
10. Check out this video about research into parents’ conversations with their children
11. Let’s congratulate ILA Board Member Erica Lamm who has accepted the role of Interim MBA Program Director at Concordia University, Nebraska, USA. This is in addition to being full-time Associate Professor of Communication and part-time Assistant Director of Forensics!
12. An article in the Harvard Business Review ‘The Power of Listening in Helping people Change’ by ILA member Avraham (Avi) Kluger and Guy Itzchakov was trending again on social media